Lighters are very handy inside the home. You can use it for many purposes but primarily it is being utilized to light candles ad cigarettes by homeowners. There are many kinds of lighters nowadays and there are even those which are not disposable. Gone are the days when you only have disposable lighters as you can have some which can be refilled by lighter fluid and can be used again and again.
But while this can be very helpful in different kinds of situations, sometimes mishaps can occur while you are refilling your lighter with lighter fluid and you could end up spilling the latter all over your carpet at home. It can be quite messy and can prove to be dangerous if you don’t clean it up properly thus you should take immediate action and clean up this kind of spill on the carpet.
This can be a bit difficult, especially if you don’t really know what to do. To help you out, here are some simple steps that you can take in cleaning up lighter fluid spills on your carpet.
1. First, you must quickly remove the spilled lighter fluid on the carpet. Do this by using a clean sponge or paper towel to absorb the fluid and extract it in an empty bowl or container. Do this until you have removed as much of the spilled fluid on the carpet.
2. Get a cup of clean water and try to dilute the spilled area on the carpet. After a minute of letting the water soak in the spill, get a clean white cloth and blot the area until it is completely dry.
3. Now you will have to create a cleaning solution to deal with the stain or mark that is left behind by the lighter fluid spill. For this you will need a teaspoon of white vinegar and a cup of warm water. Mix the two together and then place the solution inside a spray bottle. Then, proceed to the next step.
4. Take a piece of paper towel and blot the area where the spill was continuously. This will help lift the stain on the carpet and transfer it onto the paper towel. If you don’t have any paper towels around you could make use of a clean white cloth. Do this until the stain is entirely removed.
5. Rinse the carpet with a cup of clean water to flush out any residue that may be left behind on the carpet. Finish the job by drying the area completely using clean rags and you’re done.